Antipasti – Peperoni Ripieni con Pomodori conditi e Ricotta – Video RecipeOur Favourites
- 2 Red Peppers
- 100g Mollica (the inside of day-old bread)
- 100g Sugo di Pomodoro
- 30g Green pitted olives finely chopped
- 125g Mozzarella drained & finely chopped
- 40g Finely grated Parmesan
- 20g Fresh basil leaves finely chopped
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
Ingredients for the seasoned Tomatoes & Ricotta
- 350g Cherry Tomatoes
- 5g Oregano
- 250g Fresh Ricotta Cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
Peperoni Ripieni con Pomodori conditi e Ricotta
Make sure to read our Tips!
To start make your filling for the stuffed peppers.
On a chopping board with a bread knife remove the outer crust of the day-old bread and take 100g of the inner bread (the Mollica) and tear into smaller pieces and place inside a mixing bowl.
Add into the Mollica the 100g of Sugo di Pomodoro and mix together until the Mollica has absorbed all of the Sugo. Then add into the Mollica mix the finely chopped mozzarella, olives, grated parmesan and chopped basil. Mix well and leave to rest for 30 minutes in the fridge.
Whilst your filling mix rests, pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees celsius and take your washed peppers and slice each pepper in half, removing any seeds from the centre. Place all 4 pepper halves onto a baking tray and drizzle inside and out with olive oil and sea salt, massaging well.
Take your filling from the fridge and stuff each pepper half with the filing. Drizzle with a touch more olive oil on top and place in the over for 30-35 minutes until the peppers are cooked all the way through and the top is lovely and golden.
- The peppers continue to cook once out of the oven so don’t overcook them whilst still in the oven.
- These peppers are perfect to stuff the day before and can be either 1) cooked an hour before serving on the day or 2) cooked the day before and kept in the fridge and then reheated for 10 minutes before serving.
- This dish is best served not too hot as the flavours really evolve at room temperature.
Method – Serving the Peppers
Take a serving platter and drizzle a good amount of extra virgin olive oil (Evoo) onto the platter, around 2-3 Tbsp’s. Season the Evoo with a good pinch or two of sea salt and around 5g of dried Sicilian oregano; mix well together.
Wash and cut in half the cherry tomatoes and scatter onto the platter into the Evoo mix and mix well. Place your cooked stuffed peppers on top of the seasoned cherry tomatoes and finish with fresh ricotta cheese, extra oregano and a drizzle of Evoo.
- We use our Sicilian Moresca olive oil as it has natural grassy notes which work perfectly with tomatoes and dried oregano.